Version release notes tracking the Steam version. (It is unknown if the Xbox and Windows 10 version numbers are consistent)
|| Release Date
|| Version notes
||21st April 2017
The EXPERIMENTAL build of the game on Steam has been updated with Patch "154".
You will not have access to this update on the main version of the game on Steam. You will need to opt in to the Experimental build of the game in order to help us test this update:
HOW TO JOIN THE EXPERIMENTAL BUILD OF ASTRONEER ON STEAM
This update mostly addresses the inability to Print objects or Vehicles after unsuccessfully being rewarded with their blueprints for Researching. There's 2 bug fixes included in this update as well.
- MEDIUM PRINTER base module now unlocked at the beginning of new games. You will no longer be required to unlock its Blueprint from Researching.
- MEDIUM PRINTER base module will include a SMALL SEAT blueprint, available for Printing. You will no longer be required to unlock its Blueprint from Researching.
- VEHICLE BAY base module now unlocked at the beginning of new games. You will no longer be required to unlock its Blueprint from Researching.
- VEHICLE BAY base module will include a ROVER CHASSIS blueprint, available for Printing. You will no longer be required to unlock its Blueprint from Researching.
- Fix for player colour/suits being wrong in MP after Save game is loaded.
- Fix for DEADLY HEAT-SEEKING storm boxes
||21st April 2017
- Added tool augment system: Augment items can be attached to tools (starting with terrain tool) to upgrade or change behavior
- Terrain tool can now be interacted with when backpack is open in order to slot in augments.
- New unlockable augment items!
- Terrain analyzer: Collect terrain of a particular material/color until meter is full. Once meter is full, adding terrain will use the equipped color, and subtracting terrain will filter on the equipped color.
- Wide mod: Increases the size of the terrain tool brush while decreasing intensity.
- Narrow mod: Decreases the size of the terrain tool brush while increasing intensity.
- Inhibitor: Shuts down functionality. Applied to terrain tool, turns off adding/subtracting terrain, but maintains color changes and harvesting.
- Complete overhaul of equipment unlock progression. Specific equipment unlocks are now dependent on researching certain types of chests while retaining some randomization.
- Steeper difficulty curve: Fewer types of equipment are available at the beginning of a new game, requiring more chests to be recovered and researched to acquire everything.
- Research chests are less common overall.
- Hydrazine no longer tradeable at trade module.
- Backpack now opens to one side, if space is clear, to support tool interactions, and clear the view ahead.
- Backpack gets illuminated when opened to aid visibility in dark areas.
- Default terrain tool brush size and intensity adjusted.
- Terrain tool now adds grey terrain when no augment mod equipped.
- Terrain brush now indicates color
- Added an interaction indicator between the Astroneer and held items. In multiplayer, the indicators of other players are now visible and receive the accent color of that player.
- Dynamite explosion power and radius now increases when multiple dynamite sticks are packed together.
- Mellowed out camera behavior when backpack or terrain tool is out.
- Updated vehicle code to increase stability.
- Added new VFX for deformations.
- Performance: Several significant improvements to key physics systems to improve CPU perf.
- Bug: Fixed crash on load of some saved games.
- Bug: Fix many objects falling through the world when unattended.
- Bug: Fixed foliage floating in air after dynamite explosion.
- Bug: Fix tethers disappearing on quick-stow if top-left backpack bundle is full.
- Bug: Fix tethers not being placeable while sprinting.
- Bug: Fix Astroneer's head remaining cocked until cursor is moved to a forward position.
- Bug: Fix auxiliary slot items not automatically equipping to backpack auxiliary slots when printed.
- Bug: Fix item unlock messages not replicating to all clients in MP.
- Bug: Fix various MP desync issues.
||17th March 2017
SAVE FILE UX ON SATELLITE MENU
- Can delete saves
- Saves use fixed numbered slots
- Most recent save selected by default
- Disable starting new game when saves full
- Reduced camera auto-adjustment so it interferes less when using gamepad
- Updated attenuation settings on refinery audio. No longer playing as 2d.
- Adjusted the Terrain cursor analog stick motion curve
- Improved physics update efficiency.
- Plant Materials updated to be less GPU intensive.
- Major optimization to base networks and tethers.
- Significantly reduce network bandwidth usage.
||16th February 2017
- Dynamite now craftable from backpack (takes one Aluminium)
- New dynamite art, fx, audio
- Dynamite can now be used to destroy base buildings and other objects
- Added character idle animations
- Added 9 new discoverable wrecks, including their collectible items within
- Additional organic research (Artifacts) items added
- Updated Dropship model art
- Updated RCS thruster effects for Dropship
- Updated model art for Trade platform
- Updated model and FX art for Smelter
- Added new refinery / smelter audio
- Added sandboxing of saved games when running the Steam Experimental branch.
- Improved game pad support on launch menu
- Performance improvement: Added a system for fully despawning decorator sets as you move away from them.
- Slight GPU performance improvement to terrain (use 16 bit indices)
- Researching an item when you have already researched all recipes will no longer "use up" that item in regards to when future updates add new recipes.
- It will now also give you a resource.
- Fixed several issues with how decorator states were saved and restored.
- Fixed race condition causing occasional anomalous terrain generation.
- Seed fixes, including shift-click issue and seeds growing in backpack
- Fix save game issue where conduits don't attach after saving a leaf and building platform
- Fix save game issue where conduits nubs don't disappear after a save game and using dynamite on the leaf
- Updated oxygen tank fill looping sound. Fixed Xbox bug that caused it to play at full volume.
||21st January 2017
- Cross-play multiplayer between Xbox One and Windows 10 Store PC versions now works!
- Fix up the way that objects with research items get dug up. You can now kill hazards without uncovering their buried research item.
- Make spikers destroy after a bit when you dig them up.
- Spikers can be jumped on without hurting you, like that jellyfish scene from Finding Nemo.
- Improve the distance at which objects have physics, allowing (for example) zebra balls to roll further from player
- Fix the disappearance of vehicles and items, particularly when frame rates are low.
- A couple surprises you'll have to discover.
||9th January 2017
- Fix four major crashes including one that could prevent saves from loading, and one that could occur on MP join.
- Fix issue where some unburied discoveries would not simulate physics after reloading a save.
- Fix very bad performance when training together many rovers or trucks.
- Fix trade module save behavior. All existing lost trade ships in save games should return to earth (possibly after doing the wrong trade, but all new saves will work properly)
- Bring in physics freeze distance by a bit, reducing incidence of cases where objects fall through ground. (More improvements incoming).
||29th December 2016
- Ensure that players joining a Steam MP session are friends with someone currently in session.
- Fix for client Condenser exploit that would allow player to take unfilled fuel canister.
- Fix for research item exploit where player could save game after getting item, and reload.
- Fix for clients not seeing correct light and oxygen state on tethers.
- Fix for clients being unable to hear anything in SFX category of sounds.
- Don't allow player to enter vehicles while interacting/holding anything else.
- Updated the bones discoveries so they have random orientation to terrain.
- Updated the Disovery version of Geysers to not include snapping points.
||22nd December 2016
- Fix invert Y for gamepad applying to cursor motion
- Controls screen accessed from pause menu now correctly displays controller buttons when using controller.
- Fix host's gamepad cursor becoming bugged when a client joins
- Fix ability to pick yourself up while in a seat, and being unable to leave seat.
- Fix bug where after loading a save, unplaced dropships would freak out.
- Add ability to enter seat even when it's detached from a vehicle
- Add ability to sit in a dropship while mounted on a vehicle
- Allow the 2 expansion slots on backpack to use Filters, Tanks, and Tethers
- Fix exploit allowing player to trade for infinite resources by thieving the item like a pirate while launching
- Fix bug that would not allow a full oxygen tank to save an Astroneer from suffocating
- Cut value of Fuel in half on Trade module
- Double power requirement and production time of Condenser
- Fix known physics problems when attaching things to large storage on truck
- Fix bug allowing player to make building platforms after a conduit hub has already been branched.
- Change the Shuttle/Spaceship conduit hub type to the same as the habitat
- Allow Shuttle/Spaceship to reattach to previously created hubs
- Fix algorithm that picks the height of new base platforms, so that flat terrain makes flat base
- Fix issue where resources hover out of backpack on loading save 
- Fix Popper hazards spawning new research items on save load 
- Likely fix for client being unable to click launch buttons with mouse 
||20th December 2016
- Fixed deadlock causing freezes on many people's machines, especially those with dual core CPUs.
- Fixed 10 different crash issues affecting save reloads, multiplayer joins, and general gameplay.
- Decreased performance impact of distant objects.
- Fixed certain performance problems that appear after loading a save.
- Optimized tether networks to significantly improve framerate performance.
- Tethers now go dark when disconnected from their sources.
- Properly disabled VR plugins.
||16th December 2016
- Game goes to unplayable framerate upon going underground. Seems an issue with computing reverb on certain hardware. We've disabled reverb for now and will investigate later.
- Fix for 100% crash for users with Intel Core2 Duo and Core2 Quad processors.
- Fix for SteamVR launching alongside the game. We don't have VR support!
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Original patch notes (0.3.10153.0 and 0.3.10154.0)
- ↑ Original patch notes (0.2.10131.0)
- ↑ Original patch notes (0.2.10125.0)
- ↑ Original patch notes (0.2.10119.0)
- ↑ Added 2 new zebra balls
- ↑ Original patch notes (0.2.117.0)
- ↑ Original patch notes (0.2.115.0)
- ↑ Original patch notes (0.2.111.0)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 This change was mentioned in patch 115, after it was added. Original post by Adam in the dev team
- ↑ Original patch notes (0.2.108.0)