The Alignment Mod is a Terrain Tool augment used to create flat planes.
The Alignment Mod has four functions, based on the direction the camera is facing:
- Normal Mode: Facing the ground. Digging will be locked downwards in a straight line, perpendicular to the planet's core.
- Build Mode: Facing the ground, press "Add Terrain" key (default Left Alt). Building will be locked upwards in a straight line, perpendicular to the planet's core.
- Wall Mode: Facing the horizon, press "Flatten Terrain" key (default Left Ctrl). Makes a wall perpendicular to the planet's curve. The wall will always face the player.
- Flat Mode: Facing the ground at your feet, press "Flatten Terrain" key. This mode creates an ever-so-slightly curved ground that matches the Planet's curve. This mode, if used for the length of the circumference of the planet, will wrap back around to the starting point, creating a circle.
- Notably, the flat surface generated by the Alignment Mod is simply perpendicular to gravity at the exact polygon the flatten tool is focused on when the terrain tool activates. Consequently, at lower altitudes or closer to the cores of planets, it's necessary to occasionally pick new flattening locations in order to produce a true sphere, Otherwise, the closer to the core of a planet the Terrain Tool is, the less 'round' the surface produced will actually be.
The Alignment Mod needs power to use, and will drain the backpack if not connected to a source of power.