Types[edit | edit source]
- T1: Tier 1 slots are single sockets, which can only hold one small item,
- T2: Tier 2 slots are paired single sockets surrounded with a red line which clearly associates them with one another. Each socket is, itself, a T1 slot. The pair can hold a single T2 item together, however.
- T3: Tier 3 slots are a pair of T2 slots, which are themselves pairs of T1 slots. Modules like the Smelting Furnace and Research Chamber take up a whole T3 slot.
- T4: Tier 4 slots are a pair of T3 slots paired together. Found on the surface of a Large Rover or Extra Large Platform A. The only thing that takes up a T4 slot is an Extra Large Storage.
- Holograms (All Tier), These attachment points have holographic displays that will interact when given its appropriate items. Examples of these are the side slots on a Printer, or the printer slot on an astroneer's Backpack.
Uses[edit | edit source]
The purpose of attachment slots is broad, but generally speaking, they can be used to:
- Secure items you don't want to lose or that you need in a toolkit for travel and exploration. For example, you may want to carry resources like Compound in your backpack so you can make a chain of tethers to provide power and oxygen as you explore.
- To improve platforms with much-needed features, like power sources or expanded storage. For example, you can attach a power source like the Small Wind Turbine to a Rover to provide it with power or add more storage to increase its carrying capability from 2 slots to 8.
Example Locations[edit | edit source]
Attachment slots can be found in:
- Backpacks - 13 T1, plus 1 crafting slot for the backpack printer.
- Shelters - 2 T1 slots, plus 1 T2 slot for Oxygenator.
- Medium Rovers - One T3 slot on the surface which can hold a large machine such as a Smelting Furnace, and a T2 slot on the front and back.
- Large Rovers - One T4 slot on the surface, which could as well be two T3 slots, and two T3 slots on the front and back each.
- Shuttles - One T3 slot for the Medium Shuttle, one T4 slot for the Large Shuttle.
- Cranes - One T2 on the arm for equipping a Drill Head (but usable for other items), plus two T1 slots on the side where mined Resources are stacked (but also usable for other items).
- Medium Storage - Eight T1 slots.
- Large Storage - Four T2 slots. Notably, this basically turns a T3 slot into twice as many T2 slots as it could've been without, doubling its storage capacity for <T3 items.
- Generators have T1 slots designed with the specific function of receiving various types of fuel.
- While likely not intended for player use, world objects such as trees and Probes contain hidden functional attachment slots (where research Artifacts are usually found). Only 2-slot items can be attached to these.
- A lot of debris and detritus can have attachment slots as well.