The Backpack is an Astroneer's all-purpose storage and small item fabrication solution. It features 8 inventory slots, 2 small attachment points, a small printer, and storage for both oxygen for the Astroneer and power for their Terrain Tool.
The various features of the backpack can be accessed by "opening" it, making it larger and easier to interact with. To open the backpack, simply press Q on the keyboard or on the Xbox controller, or press to select it directly using the cursor.
Inventory Slots[edit | edit source]
The backpack has 8 slots dedicated to resource and small item storage. Items can be placed into, removed from, and rearranged within these slots manually, but as long as there is an inventory slot available, resource stacks collected with the deform tool or items created using the backpack's printer will be automatically placed there. If all inventory slots are full, newly created or collected items will drop to the ground nearby.
Widget Slots[edit | edit source]
There are 2 additional slots on the top left and right of the backpack, which is meant for Widgets. These are commonly used to host items such as the Solar Panel, Worklight or Portable Oxygenator. Some widgets in these slots can be toggled on and off using the context keys (default C and V, left and right respectively), such as the Worklight, Portable Oxygenator or Small Generator. Like other attachment points, however, they can also be fitted with resource stacks or other small items for additional storage.
Research Catalog[edit | edit source]
Pressing Tab will open the research catalog, where player can purchase Schematics using accumulated Bytes. The catalog is separated into 4 different size categories, corresponding to the four sizes of objects created by the corresponding printers. The catalog includes a pad with buttons that can be used to navigate around it, which also hints which controller buttons are used to navigate around the catalog.
The movement keys can be used to move around a category, and the Context Left/Right keys to change categories. Alternatively, the buttons and schematics can be clicked on to move to categories or different items.
Backpack Printer[edit | edit source]
Using the small printer on the Backpack, items can be crafted on the go at the cost of 2.5 Units of Power. Cycling through the available items will automatically move the appropriate resource to the printer's input slot if it is already in the backpack. This input slot can be used to deliberately store a specific extra resource, if so desired, but be forewarned that changing the item to be printed will eject the contents of the input slot from the backpack if the rest of its inventory slots are already full.
Printable Items[edit | edit source]
Unlocked by Default[edit | edit source]
|Tethers||Compound||Connects an Astroneer to the oxygen and power supplies of a base module or vehicle.|
|Canister||Resin||Used to store Soil.|
|Oxygen Filters||Resin||Provides an Astronner with additional Oxygen.|
|Small Generator||Compound||Converts Organic fuel to power.|
|Small Printer||Compound||Fabricator capable of printing medium platforms and modules.|
|Worklight||Copper||Creates light when on an attachment slot and if the player has power.|
|Beacon||Quartz||Used to mark a point of interest on a planet by displaying an icon which can be seen from considerable distances.|
Unlocked via Research[edit | edit source]
|Packager||Graphite||Repackage almost any item in the game, from Modules to Research Items.|
|Small Solar||Copper||Converts solar energy to power.|
|Small Battery||Lithium||Stores 32 Units of power.|
|Dynamite||Explosive Powder||Used to remove structures, vehicles, and quickly excavate Terrain.|
|Fireworks||Explosive Powder||Celebrate your achievements with a bang!|
|Power Cells||Zinc||Provides 48 Units of power.|
|Small Oxygen Tank||Glass||Extends backpack oxygen supply.|
|Portable Oxygenator||NanoCarbon Alloy||Provides a constant stream of oxygen at the cost of power.|
|Small Wind Turbine||Glass||Converts wind energy to power.|
|Alignment Mod||Zinc||Allows flattening of terrain parallel or perpendicular to the core.|
|Inhibitor Mod||Zinc||Allows flora and resources to be dug up without digging up terrain. Also pairs with Terrain Analyzer for painting soil.|
|Boost Mod||Zinc||Allows faster digging through soil with the Terrain Tool.|
|Wide Mod||Zinc||Increases the size of the Terrain Tool.|
|Narrow Mod||Zinc||Decreases the size of the Terrain Tool.|
|Terrain Analyzer||Zinc||Allows gathering of soil colors with the Terrain Tool to place colored soil. Pairs best with the Inhibitor Mod to paint terrain.|
|Drill Mod 1||Ceramic||Allows easier digging through hard soil.|
|Drill Mod 2||Tungsten Carbide||Allows easier digging through harder soil than mod 1.|
|Drill Mod 3||Diamond||Allows easier digging through the hardest soil.|
|Extenders||Copper||Extends the range of power cables.|
Oxygen and Power Storage[edit | edit source]
- Prominently displayed on the backpack are two gauges: the horizontal oxygen gauge in light blue, and the vertical power gauge in bright yellow.
- Enough oxygen is stored for 72.5 seconds of untethered field work. Running consumes a little more oxygen, making the tank empty in 50 seconds instead.
- You get a notification when the tank is 50% and then 25% full. When you run out of oxygen, you are suffocating. Within 5 seconds of starting to suffocate, you cannot run anymore and then you have 10 more seconds to reach a source of oxygen before dying.
- Power is only drained when using an Augment on the Terrain Tool, or when using the printer.
- A small battery stores enough power to use a single augmented deform tool continuously for about 64 seconds, depending on whether power-generating widgets are being used.
- As an internal battery, the backpack will not transfer its charge to other batteries.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Technically the backpack has a total of 14 available slots (8 backpack inventory slots, 2 attachment slots, 1 printer inventory slot, and 3 more slots on the terrain tool as of the latest update)
- A broken version of the Research Catalog can rarely be found, and was added to tease the working counterpart's addition in a later update.
- A total of 125,550 bytes are need to research every Schematic in the game.
Media[edit | edit source]