The Backpack is an Astroneer's all-purpose storage and small item fabrication solution. It features 8 inventory slots, 2 small attachment points, a small printer, and storage for both oxygen for the Astroneer and power for their Terrain Tool.
The various features of the backpack can be accessed by "opening" it, making it larger and easier to interact with. To open the backpack, simply press Q on your keyboard or on your Xbox controlleror press Y select it directly using the cursor.
Inventory Slots[edit | edit source]
The backpack has 8 slots dedicated to resource and small item storage. Items can be placed into, removed from, and rearranged within these slots manually, but as long as there is an inventory slot available, resource stacks collected with the deform tool or items created using the backpack's printer will be automatically placed there. If all inventory slots are full, newly created or collected items will drop to the ground nearby.
It should be noted that while the backpack's inventory slots resemble attachment points, they do not behave as such. Only a few select items truly "connect" to the backpack through the inventory, such as Tanks, Batteries, and Power Stacks.
Attachment Slots[edit | edit source]
There are 2 additional slots in the top corner of the backpack, which can be equipped with any Widgets. These are commonly used to host power sources such as the Solar Panel or Wind Vane, allowing an Astroneer to recharge their backpack's internal battery in the field. Like other attachment points, however, they can also be fitted with resource stacks or other small items for additional storage.
Research Catalog[edit | edit source]
Pressing and holding Q will open the research catalog, where player can purchase Schematics using accumulated Bytes. The catalog is separated into 4 different size categories. Each category contains a different group of research. The catalog includes a pad with buttons that can be used to navigate around it, which also hints which controller buttons are used to navigate around the catalog.
You can use WASD to move around a category, and ZX to change categories. Alternatively, you can click the buttons on the catalog itself.
Backpack Printer[edit | edit source]
Using the small printer on the Backpack, simple items can be crafted on the go at the cost of Power. As you cycle through the various printable items, the appropriate resource will automatically move down to the printer's input slot if it is already in your backpack. This input slot can be used to deliberately store a specific extra resource, if so desired, but be forewarned that changing the item to be printed will eject the contents of the input slot from the backpack if the rest of its inventory slots are already full. It costs the player 2.5 Units of Power to print an object.
Printable Items[edit | edit source]
Unlocked by Default[edit | edit source]
|Tethers||1x Compound||Connects an Astroneer to the oxygen and power supplies of a base module or vehicle.|
|Canister||1x Resin||Used to store Soil.|
|Oxygen Filters||1x Resin||Provides an Astronner with additional Oxygen.|
|Small Generator||1x Compound||Converts Organic fuel to power.|
|Small Printer||1x Compound||Fabricator capable of printing medium platforms and modules.|
Unlocked via Research[edit | edit source]
|Beacon||1x Quartz||Used to mark a point of interest on a planet by displaying an icon which can be seen from considerable distances.|
|Small Solar||1x Copper||Converts solar energy to power.|
|Small Battery||1x Lithium||Stores 2 bars of power.|
|Dynamite||1x Explosive Powder||Used to remove structures, vehicles, and quickly excavate Terrain.|
|Fireworks||1x Explosive Powder||Celebrate your achievements with a bang!|
|Power Cells||1x Zinc||Provides a limited amount of power.|
|Small Oxygen Tank||1x Glass||Extends backpack oxygen supply.|
|Small Wind Turbine||1x Glass||Converts wind energy to power.|
|Augments||1x Zinc||Changes the capabilities of the Terrain Tool.|
|Worklight||1x Copper||Creates light when on an attachment slot and if the player has power.|
|Extenders||1x Copper||Extends the range of power cables.|
Oxygen and Power Storage[edit | edit source]
- Prominently displayed on the backpack are two gauges: the horizontal oxygen gauge in light blue, and the vertical power gauge in bright yellow.
- Enough oxygen is stored for 70 seconds of untethered field work. Running consumes a little more oxygen, making the tank empty in 50 seconds instead of 70.
- You get a notification when the tank is 50% and then 25% full. When you run out of oxygen, you are suffocating. Within 5 seconds of starting to suffocate, you cannot run anymore and then you have 10 more seconds to reach a source of oxygen before dying.
- Power is only drained when using an Augment on the Terrain Tool.
- The battery stores enough power to use a single augmented deform tool continuously for 64 seconds, depending on whether power-generating widgets are being used.
- As an internal battery, the backpack will not transfer its charge to other batteries.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Technically the backpack has a total of 14 available slots (8 backpack inventory slots, 2 attachment slots, 1 printer inventory slot, and 3 more slots on the terrain tool as of the latest update)
- A broken version of the Research Catalog can rarely be found, and was added to tease the working counterpart's addition in a later update.
Media[edit | edit source]