The Backpack is an Astroneer's all-purpose storage and small item fabrication solution. It features 8 inventory slots, 2 small attachment points, a small printer, and storage for both oxygen for the Astroneer and power for their Deform Tool.
The various features of the backpack can be accessed by "opening" it, making it larger and easier to interact with. To open the backpack, simply press Q on your keyboard or on your Xbox controller, or select the it directly using the cursor.
Inventory Slots[edit | edit source]
The backpack has 8 slots dedicated to resource and small item storage. Items can be placed into, removed from, and rearranged within these slots manually, but as long as there is an inventory slot available, resource stacks collected with the deform tool or items created using the backpack's printer will be automatically placed there. If all inventory slots are full, newly created or collected items will drop to the ground nearby.
It should be noted that while the backpack's inventory slots resemble attachment points, they do not behave as such. Only a few select items truly "connect" to the backpack through the inventory, such as Tanks, Batteries, and Power Stacks.
Attachment Slot[edit | edit source]
There are 2 additional slots in the top corner of the backpack, which can be equipped with any Widgets. These are commonly used to host power sources such as the Solar Panel or Wind Vane, allowing an Astroneer to recharge their backpack's internal battery in the field. Like other attachment points, however, they can also be fitted with resource stacks or other small items for additional storage.
Backpack Printer[edit | edit source]
Using the small printer on the Backpack, simple items can be crafted on the go at the cost of Power. As you cycle through the various printable items, the appropriate resource will automatically move down to the printer's input slot if it is already in your backpack. This input slot can be used to deliberately store a specific extra resource, if so desired, but be forewarned that changing the item to be printed will eject the contents of the input slot from the backpack if the rest of its inventory slots are already full. It costs the player 2.5 Units of Power to print an object.
Larger objects can be printed using the Medium Printer.
Printable Items[edit | edit source]
Unlocked by Default[edit | edit source]
|Beacon||1x Compound||Creates a HUD marker when placed, allowing for custom marking of POIs.|
|Small Solar Panel||1x Copper||Slowly generates power when exposed to natural light.|
|Stack of Tethers||1x Compound||Connects an Astroneer to the oxygen and power supplies of a base module or vehicle.|
Unlocked via Research[edit | edit source]
|Small Battery||1x Lithium||Stores 2 bars of power for later use.|
|Dynamite||1x Aluminum||Used to remove structures, vehicles, and quickly excavate terrain.|
|Filters||1x Compound||Increases the duration an Astroneer can survive without oxygen.|
|Small Generator||1x Compound||Generates a small amount of power in exchange for Organic fuel.|
|Power Cells||1x Compound||Quickly Charges the backpack's internal battery, destroying itself in the process.|
|Tank||1x Titanium||Extends backpack oxygen supply.|
|Wind Vane||1x Aluminum||Slowly generates power when exposed to wind.|
|Augments||1x Copper or||Changes the capabilities of the Terrain Tool.|
Oxygen and Power Storage[edit | edit source]
- Prominently displayed on the backpack are two gauges: the horizontal oxygen gauge in light blue, and the vertical power gauge in bright yellow.
- Enough oxygen is stored for 70 seconds of untethered field work. Running consumes a little more oxygen, making the tank empty in 50 seconds instead of 70.
- You get a notification when the tank is 50% and then 25% full. When you run out of oxygen, you are suffocating. Within 5 seconds of starting to suffocate, you cannot run anymore and then you have 10 more seconds to reach a source of oxygen before dying.
- The battery stores enough power to use a single augmented deform tool continuously for only 12 seconds (without other source of power). Unlike other batteries, the backpack cannot have it's charge cannot be transferred to other batteries.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Technically the backpack has a total of 14 available slots (8 backpack inventory, 2 attachment slot, 1 printer inventory, and 3 more on the terrain tool as of the latest update)