The Terrain Tool is a large two-handed terraforming and resource-collecting tool that is standard-issue among all Astroneers. Wielding the tool will prevent an Astroneer from picking up objects directly, but it can be quickly and conveniently stowed on the backpack at any time. The tool has three attachment points for small items: two on the right side and one on the top. Canisters are commonly placed directly on the Terrain Tool.
Terraforming[edit | edit source]
Through the magic of science, the Terrain Tool is able to alter the terrain. Astroneers can use its lower, raise, and level modes to shape the terrain on whatever celestial body they happen to find themselves, all at the pull of a trigger.
Excavate Mode[edit | edit source]
The Terrain Tool's "Dig/Excavate" mode can be used to dig out terrain, with functions such as creating ditches, digging tunnels, destroying plants, and gathering resources. All Soil gathered with this mode goes into any unfilled canisters attached to the player's Terrain Tool or Backpack. If no unfilled canister is available, the tool will burn the collected soil and a flame will be visible on the top of it.
Elevate Mode[edit | edit source]
By engaging "Raise/Elevate" mode ("Alt" key by default), the Terrain Tool expends stored soil in order to raise the terrain. Use this function alongside level mode to create ramps and walls. Using the Elevate mode requires enough soil from stored canisters.
Flatten Mode[edit | edit source]
"Flatten/Level" mode ("Ctrl" key by default) is used to flatten terrain to the angle of the currently-selected terrain's voxel. The Terrain Tool will take a sample of the target terrain's grade, specifically of the triangle the middle dot points at, when activated, replicating that grade over the desired area. This method is an excellent way to generate smooth ramps for large vehicles or quickly cover dangerous holes and chasms. Using the Level mode requires enough Soil from stored Canisters in order to fill in gaps, and will refill the canisters using terrain that is dug into.
Resource Collection[edit | edit source]
Any resource nodes that are broken free of the terrain using the Terrain Tool's Lower and Level modes will be shattered into small pieces and sucked up by the Tool like a vacuum. These pieces will collect on the rear port of the Tool until there are enough to form a full resource stack, at which point said stack will be deposited to the user's backpack inventory. If there are no inventory slots available, the stack will drop to the ground behind the Tool. The stacks may be stored on the Terrain Tool's three slots, however, they must be Shift-clicked or dragged onto them directly, as they will not automatically go to them.
Unlike the Crane and Drill, if a different resource type is collected, the current half-finished stack will be preserved in the Terrain Tool's virtual inventory; it will be restored the next time you gather the same resource type again.
The Terrain Tool comes with 3 empty slots that can be attached with augments that can alter the functionality of the Terrain Tool
- Inhibitor: Allows the collection of Resources and coloring of terrain without deforming the voxels of said terrain
- Wide Mod: Increases the terraforming radius
- Narrow Mod: Decreases the terraforming radius
- Alignment Mod: Creates a flat plane that is perpendicular to the curve of the planet
- Terrain Analyzer: Stores the color of the mined terrain, to be reused later to paint the terrain with the stored color
- Boost Mod: Increases the Terraforming speed.
Other Functions[edit | edit source]
- Soil Hose: Shows how the soil is transported between canisters from backpack
- Additional Storage Slots: The Terrain Tool's augmentation slots can be used to store any small objects
- Widget usage: Allows any Small modules such as the Small Solar Panel and Small Battery to be used from the Terrain Tool
- Painting: With the combination of the Inhibitor and the Terrain Analyzer, and the brush tools, terrain color can be altered to match whatever the Analyzer stores
- "Nerd Pole": Done while jumping and elevating terrain below you to create a quick "ladder" of terrain
- Note that Filters and Power Cells are not consumed when they're in the Terrain Tool's augmentation slots. This means you can leave a Filter in your Terrain Tool as an emergency backup supply of oxygen which will not be used until you manually move it from your Terrain Tool to your Backpack.
Terrain Tool Nicknames[edit | edit source]
- Terrain Tool
- Terrain Brush
- Terrain Gun
- Deform Tool
- Big Vacuum Cleaner
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Terrain Tool can be destroyed permanently with Dynamite. This will create a half-stack that cannot be picked up, and an extra space on the Backpack.
- Adam mentioned the Terrain Tool's model is based on a leaf blower.