|Crafted at||Backpack or Small Printer|
|Unlock Cost||500 Bytes|
Extenders are power routing items that are used to extend the distances of the power cables for bases, and can be used to support power networks between distant bases. Extenders allow power to flow in only one direction, which is dictated by the direction that the cable is connected to an extender.
Source[edit | edit source]
|Extenders||Copper||Backpack or Small Printer|
Uses[edit | edit source]
To use extenders, they must either be in the widget slot of the Backpack or placed on the ground.
To place an extender in the widget slot, press either context key (C or V; on computer, and L or R; on console, depending on which slot the extenders are on) and it will drop to the side of the player. The player can also hold a cable, and press the context key to place the extender at the cable's end location, connecting the cable to it without having to connect it manually.
To place an extender from a pack on the ground, the player must hold F over the pack to pop out one of the extenders, then it can be moved to where the player wants it.
- Vehicles and Splitters have extender-like mechanics built into them, in which power can only flow one way. This excludes vehicles connecting to another vehicle. This would create a rover chain.
- At the moment power only flows in one direction through the extenders. Power flows from the port you initially clicked on, through the extender, and then out of the extender to the port you click on last. When connected, yellow arrows will move along the power cable and indicate the direction of power flow.
- This function is very useful to direct which part of the base should prioritize getting power. A Splitter is also good for this task, especially since you can restrict power to parts as well.
- This one-way functionality can be useful when making automatic backup generators, as the extender can be used to prevent the backup generator from powering a power sensor.
- If you need power to flow both ways, it is recommended to use a Worklight, Small Solar Panel or Small Wind Turbine as an extender instead, or have another line of extenders going through a platform without extenders.
- If you unplug an extender anywhere in the line and plug it back in in the opposite direction, the entire line will reverse.
- Placed extenders can be moved after being placed. When the distance to the connected object is too long, the connection will break.
Media[edit | edit source]