Marbles are rare and mysterious Discoveries found around the Planets, usually underground inside of caves. They can be lifted and attached to two slots like other objects, but they cannot be researched. They are perfectly round and glow, making them easy to find at night. Marbles can also be used as a light source for nighttime exploring... Aside from this, they currently serve little purpose and seem to be nothing but easter eggs.
Currently, there are three different types of Marble:
- Zebra Ball: This is the most commonly found marble out of the three, and the first to be added. The zebra ball has strips of black and white curled around the sphere.
- Chess Ball: Patch 119 introduced two other balls, which have a chance of replacing Zebra balls found in older patches. This one has a checkerboard, or "chess" pattern, and as such has been named the Chess Ball. Aside from its different pattern, it functions exactly like the Zebra ball and glows just the same.
- Leopard Ball: The second new ball introduced in Patch 119, this one is white covered in black round spots of varying size. It is sometimes called the "Spotted ball", but is also known by the name "Dalmatian ball". Like the other balls, this ball functions identically to the other two aside from its pattern.
Further Uses[edit | edit source]
For technical players, marbles serve an additional purpose. As marbles are spherical, they can easily roll on a surface and come to rest at the lowest point. This property can be used, when creating completely flat surfaces using the terrain tool in 'flatten mode', to find the point on the flat surface which is closest to the planet centre, a point which may be useful for alignment purposes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to developers, the objects were originally used for testing physics and light systems, but were accidentally left in the game.
- The easiest place to get marbles was the Tundra planet, as marbles commonly spawn on its surface.
- Mini Zebra Ball, These marbles are Tier-1 sized versions of the Zebra Ball. They have only been seen in SES Vlog: 005 so far.
Gallery[edit | edit source]