Soil is a Resource that can be stored within Small Canisters and Medium Soil Canisters. It is the building block of the Planets within Astroneer, creating the landscape that players interact with and contains the vital resources to aid in exploration and base construction.
- Soil's primary use is as a foundation for which players interact with the world. The Terrain Tool may be used to add or subtract soil from the planets, carving out holes, digging up Resources, or creating pathways to hard to reach areas.
- Another main use of Soil is to be processed in the Soil Centrifuge into select resources.
- Soil can also be researched for 100 bytes over the course of five minutes in a Research Chamber. Researching the soil will destroy the canister.
- The Terrain Tool reticle displays a circle indicating the amount of soil the player has available. Equipping more than one canister will divide the circle into parts based on how many canisters the player is using.
- Soil will be burned off by the terrain tool if the player has no canister or their canisters are full.