We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Talk:Small Solar Panel
Large vs. Small Naming Conventions[edit source]
I know there's already been some talk elsewhere regarding naming conventions over the solar panels and batteries since they both suffer from sharing the same names in the game. So let me float another idea for consensus before I go changing anything.
How about we list the "backpack" versions under /Battery_(small) and /Solar_Panel_(small), and redirect /Small_Battery and /Small_Solar_Panel to them? That way, we can talk about and link them in other articles organically (and with our sanity in tact), but the pages themselves respect the naming conventions as they exist in the game.
The "consensus" (from 3 peoples) was that "small [item]" was the way to go. I renamed the small solar panel page yesterday, I wanted to to that for the battery but I was at work and sidetracked by a damn customer... "Small item" is better than "item (small)" IMO because because we pronounce it the first way. The advantage of the second way is taht all items of the same type are listed alphabetically together, but I don't think it's that important.
- I think there's a lot of value in having them alphabetized, actually—it means searches for "Solar Panel" would yield both the Solar Panel and Solar Panel (small) articles when autocompleting. But ultimately I just think it's better practice to keep the pages named after the items as they exist in the game, appending clarifying information (using parentheses) only as necessary. This avoids any confusion, however momentary, for wiki visitors who may wonder why items are named differently between the game and the wiki. --Infinimbal (talk) 14:57, 22 December 2016 (UTC)
I do like the alphabetized part, but I think readability will go further than that. Because not many people who will come here for information are going to be using the All pages screen. Also I believe "Small Solar Panel" will show up in a search for "Solar Panel". But it means we need to have Large Solar Panel as the other option. not just Small Solar Panel/Solar Panel. --Crychair (talk) 18:48, 22 December 2016 (UTC)
My official and final position :
- I really feel the page should be called "small_solar_panel" because that's how the item is called.
- Whatever its name, as long as it contains the name "small" "solar" "panel" a research for any of these term will yield the page in the result
- I ultimately don't care about the name of the page, as for everything else we just gotta decide once and for all and stick with it and be consistent accross pages (battery, generator, ...)
- As for the "large" solar panel (the one from the printer module), we already know it's not the largest (for now, it's the wreckage one) and we know we will have space stations, probably with their own kind of solar panel... I feel it shouldn't be called large, but just without adjective.
(and I am off to family for Christmas, please don't burn the wiki in the meantime :D)
FlorentPoujol (talk) 07:55, 23 December 2016 (UTC)
If there will be different sizes. Then I think the Solar Panel Page should be a link the the different ones. Especially if there are projected to be more. So Solar Panel page with links to backpack solar panel, printer solar panel, and w.e. as they are created. --Crychair (talk) 14:56, 23 December 2016 (UTC)
- I think a disambiguation page as you're suggesting is the best compromise we're going to get. I still don't believe we should assign our own names to the items, but having a single page to help people sort through the different versions of an item seems the next-best option to me! --Infinimbal (talk) 22:26, 26 December 2016 (UTC)
Instead of having a page which links to other pages (which doesn't solve the original issue), and since the description for all solar panels for instance is very similar, lets have a single page which describe all variants of the "same item". So that we have one page for all the solar panels, one for the batteries and one for the generators.
It's simpler IMO because we have to manage a single page each time and we don't strictly need to give names for each of the variants ourselves.
I will create the "solar_panels" page within the hour so that we can have an example of what this solution can produce.
I think the direction the game is headed in we're going to need pages for all the items, Firstly since they'll change and updating the items and info will be important and more in-depth. Secondly having infoboxes and places for media will be also as important, however the "main pages" with the items (Solar panels, Generators, Batteries etc.) can have more basic info with tables to compare them and is really nice for linking and finding (especially on the front page, which I'll go ahead and add). Maybe we can cut down a little content from the "disambiguation" or main pages so it's not so repetitive, but I think both (the main as well as the specific pages) are really helpful to people finding the wiki looking at the backend and people doing searches via SEO. --Z3ther (talk) 08:32, 3 January 2017 (UTC)