Tethers are one of the items in Astroneer that can be crafted via the backpack. It is an essential item to have throughout your playthrough, especially in early exploration.
- To place a tether, press the T key (on keyboard) or bottom of the d-pad (on console) to drop a tether at your astroneer's feet. The tether can then be dragged into the desired position, and can cling to walls or ceilings. Note that tethers must simply be within a radius of each other to connect; they do NOT need line of sight with each other.
- A tether line will be created between two tether posts that are close enough. When dragging a tether, a transparent dotted line will show to which tether the new one will be connected to when released (if any).
- Tether lines will be blue when connected to an oxygen source or dashed blue/yellow when power is also flowing toward a player.
- When the tethers are not connected to any base or vehicle that have a oxygenator attached to it, the tether lines will be black. In that case, the player won't get oxygen or power from them.
- Vehicles can link to tethers, but they will only act as a source of oxygen, unless the vehicle has a power source. If the player runs out of power while tethered to a vehicle, the vehicle's internal power will begin to feed to the player without recharging their equipment.
- Only the player can recharge their power through a tether. Vehicles and bases will not receive power. However, one can charge a Small Battery and then place it onto the vehicle/base that needs power.
- Once placed, tethers can be picked up again and put back in a tether stack (or empty slot, thereby creating a tether stack) by clicking on the stack in the backpack. Shift-left-clicking (on keyboard) or pressing Y (on xbox) on a tether while holding it will automatically return it to the backpack, assuming there is space for it.
Crafting the Tethers on the small printer in a backpack